Enjoy this delicious recipe for a rustic strawberry shortcake. It’s just like what your grandma made! Fresh and easy to prepare.
- 209 grams all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 grams baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 17 grams sugar
- 62 grams butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the biscuits: Whisk together the dry ingredients. and then cut in the butter until it forms a fine crumb.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Add this all at once to the dry ingredients. Mix it gently until it starts to hold together as a dough.4. Drop the biscuits onto the prepared parchment paper using a large cookie scoop. Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.5. Bake the biscuits for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 20 minutes.
6. While the biscuits are baking, thinly slice the berries and sprinkle with sugar. Set aside.
7. Whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
8. To assemble the shortcakes, slice the biscuits open (I used a serrated knife), place a thick layer of sliced strawberries on the bottom half. Sprinkle with sugar. Apply a dollop of whipped cream to the berries, and place the top half of the biscuit onto this stack. Serve. Can also put whipped cream on the top biscuit as well.
***most instructions call for prepping the sliced fruit in a heavy coating of sugar for an hour or more before assembling the dessert. If you have farm fresh berries, there is no need to include the added sugar. Just a light sprinkle on the fresh berries is plenty, and it’s how my grandma served them.
This recipe is written to produce 6 biscuit sized shortcakes. It’s ideal for a smaller household. If you want a full dozen, simply double the recipe! It’s so easy to do with weights. If you haven’t gotten into using a kitchen scale for your baking, what are you waiting for? It’s the only way to bake!